Monday, January 18, 2010

Taking A Stand

In my opinion, taking a stand takes very much courage so I have a lot of respect for people who take a stand on important topics. Most people think of taking a stand as someone taking a stand against something they disagree with. I think taking a stand could also be standing up or standing for something you think is correct or good.

A senior that is in my youth group recently took a stand on something she thought was very beneficial to the people of Africa and for teens in America. From what I gathered, she has always had a desire to be a missionary in Africa, so she asked one of her friends to help her put together a benefit concert that was going to be called Scarfest. This concert would help raise money to donate to an AIDS mission in Africa and to an organization called To Write Love on Her Arms, a nonprofit organization to give hope to those who struggle with depression, suicide, addictions, etc.

Not only was this stand for those organizations, but it was also christian based. She was also standing up for her belief in God. By taking a stand on this large of a subject and still being young, she displayed how courageous and how much faith she had in herself to make something like this be successful, which it was. I also believe she gained respect from the people around her and also gained faith from them. This act encouraged me to not be afraid to stand up for something I either agree or disagree about. It also helped me realize how much of an affect I can have on others by doing this.

3 comments:

  1. YES! I felt great reading this because I know her!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aw man! She invited me to the event but I did not know what it was.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have heard of scarfest. Thats cool.

    Who is ffff8888?

    ReplyDelete