Monday, October 11, 2010

Socratic Seminar Reflections

The Socratic Seminar broadened my views and ideas on the purpose and theme of Huxley's Brave New World.

While answering a question in a group, a new idea that contradicted mine was presented. In my opinion, Brave New World was written as a warning to people who strive towards advancements in technology more than they strive for advancements in a balance of areas. Huxley was showing what such a society would turn into. However, another group member shared that they thought Huxley was writing to the people of his time as a prediction of what our booming technologically advanced society would soon turn into. It wouldn't necessarily have to be a negative prediction though.

During the discussion, ideas were also challenged. One person had agreed that Brave New World's society robbed the people of their individualism. By choosing what they will be for the rest of their life and forcing them to have the same beliefs as everyone else, allowing no room for each individual person to make even one decision about their life style. On the other hand, the statement that the people of the society never rebelled, so they must not have wanted individualism was presented. Backing it up, the people also never knew any different, so they may not even want change even if presented the opportunity. Also, if they were given freedoms, would they know how to make decisions? Since they're so accustomed to always having someone tell them how to live, they would probably continue following the "crowd."

Of the two questions I chose to discuss, only one included a subject I wasn't very familiar with. Henry Ford was chosen to be the god of Brave New World's society. They praised him and cursed him for the good and bad things that happened to them. Although I knew Henry Ford invented the assembly line for the mass production of cars, I did not know his beliefs on other aspects. While researching Henry Ford, I also found out he believed in keeping the best workers working his assembly lines just like Brave New World's society believed in only keeping people alive during their "best" years.

By preparing for the discussion, I learned how to plan and organize ideas and questions that were going to be needed for the discussion. I also learned how to verbalize my thoughts so that when I asked questions or made comments my words didn't come straight from a piece of paper.

Aside from preparing and discussing questions, I also learned how the Socratic Seminar worked. I think I did well. I took several notes and maked a couple of passages in the book. I also looked up information and notes that could be used to share.

The listening and paying attention to others' opinions part was easy for me, however, sharing was more difficult. I am usually a quiet when giving opinions, so I was challenged to speak up and share about what I thought of each subject. Another difficult part was having a limited time to be able to think and respond in a meaningful way to another's comment. I most enjoyed being able to speak my opinions instead of writing them down to be graded. When I sit down to write it takes at least ten minutes for my mind to get focused just partly on what I'm suppose to be writing about. With the Socratic Seminar, I could go directly from my mind to my mouth.

Next time, I will prepare more meaningful questions that cause myself and the group to think deeper into what we're being asked. This time, my questions weren't shallow, but I don't think they were on a deep enough level for us to engage in a very meaningful conversation. I would also prepare more notes than what I had this time.

I learned that I do a lot better by sharing my ideas verbally than when writing. I also learned that I need to organize completely what I'm going to say, and before speaking, I need to know what my finally point for the comment I'm about to make is. I found myself often starting a comment, but then forgetting what my final point I was trying to defend was.

I thought the Socratic Seminar was a great way to share ideas and interact with other students in class. Also, it was good to be able to evaluate and learn from the members of the other groups that were answering questions while I was not discussing a question. The only thing I would like changed is the time allowed to discuss a question. Although some topics are hard to keep a steady conversation going for eight minutes, others could be continued out for ten or twelve minutes, maybe even more.

2 comments:

  1. Good point about the time. Because of the limitations of time in school, I wonder if continuing the conversation online might be productive. What do you think?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that'd be great. The only downfall is not everyone is online at the same time, and during the socratic seminar you can get immediate feedback from other students.

    ReplyDelete